As most of you know things have been really bad in our school district..we have laid off over 700 teachers and for those of us who have a teaching credential getting a full time job has been impossible. Now to make things worse; my own job as a sub has been jeopardized. As of Friday I am no longer allowed to pick up day to day sub jobs. For those of you who don't understand what that means..I CAN'T WORK!! :( Totally bummed because I was starting to pick up quite a few daily jobs at different schools and I was feeling pretty hopeful for the upcoming school year. Not only can I not land a full-time teaching job, but now I can't even sub. Why??? Well the laid off teachers are upset that day to day subs are taking their jobs. Long story short in all the teachers laid off there are a handful, literally probably like 10, who would actually rather sub day to day then collect unemployment..are they nutts??? YES, they are basically barking to the district that they aren't getting any jobs. I totally understand part of their argument and it sucks that they have been laid off, however the online system was set up anyway to give them first pick on all assignments that teachers would put in. Then...any jobs that were not picked up by them would be released to us "regular subs" at midnight the night prior. Yes, I know it's midnight because I actually stayed up one night trying to figure out this whole system. So once I figured it out, I would log on right at midnight and there I would get my work for the next day. Hey when you have a family to feed you do what you gotta do right?? It is a total slap in the face for people like me who have been subbing as a full-time job for a few years (long before all these lay offs started).
So now I find myself with nothing but time on my hands, so what do I do? Well I marched right to Nathan's school and signed up to volunteer in his classroom..Thursday mornings from 9-11 working with the kids (yes I must have lost my noodle). I will be helping with phonemic awareness aka reading, writing, etc. And I didn't stop there..because I of course have always lived by the motto "go big or go home"! I then proceeded to volunteer to become the "Classroom Mom". I have now gone too far!! LOL Not only will I be there every Thursday
pulling my freaking hair out trying to teach 1st graders all about language arts using my credential to it's potential, I will now be the "go to mom" for the teacher when it comes to organizing events with parents, calling to set up fundraisers, volunteer hours, etc. YUP it's official I have totally lost my mind...see what happens when they won't let me have my own classroom...Poor Nathan, he was crying out for some attention just days ago, and now he's going to be trying to hide!!!
Watch out Room 33...there is a new room mom in town!
No comments:
Post a Comment