Friday, March 11, 2011

Nathan "The Hustler"

As I was getting ready to start this blog I read my last entry, to see where in our crazy lives I had left off, and I found my self laughing out loud as I read the previous post. Especially the part that said "who am I kidding, the boy is in no hurry to get around the bases".Well as I read, I laughed because I was totally caught off guard last night when the coach presented the awards for the game.

At the end of each game the coach presents two awards, a "MVP" and a "Hustler" award. The Hustler award is a belt that goes to the kid who really hustled during the game. It's a cute wrestling belt that the winner gets to wear and take home, until the next game. The coach always prefaces the presentation by saying "In order to be the champ, you have to beat the champ" It totally gets the kids all pumped up, because you know how competitive little boys are, and they all want to "be the champ"!!!

You would not believe how bad these kids want this belt..Nathan talks about it 24-7. I keep telling him to work hard and run fast and one day he will get it!!

Well guess who got it at last nights game????????????????


YOU GUESSED IT.....Yours Truly.....(Insert WWF Announcer's voice) Naaathaaaaan Baaca!!!!!

I think he was caught just off guard as I was (as you can tell by his face) lol but he was soooo excited!! I tease about him "un-hitching the trailer" all the time (which I know your all probably thinking "geez mom, cut him some slack" ) but honestly I only do it because I KNOW he CAN run faster then he does around the bases, he just chooses not to! It's so funny when he's at 3rd base and a runner is coming from 2nd to get home and he practically beats Nate.

I laugh because it's so cute to see his little husky body taking his time..in no rush at all. All of the parents watching are probably thinking that because he's a "bigger kid" he just cant run as fast, but I PROMISE you that if there was a video game or something he really wanted at each base..everyone would be shocked to see what he could really do.

In all honesty though, he has definitely picked up his speed lately, and even if he still isn't as fast as most of the other kids on the team, the coaches noticed his improvement and rewarded him for it. Even Anthony's Uncle Robert, who came to support him last night said he had gotten a little faster since last season...BTW thank you Robert, Jessica, Heather and my Nini for coming to watch Nate play.. what a perfect night...Nathan had a little bit of a cheering crowd to clap for him when he was presenting the award. Thank you so much for being there for our little guy..it meant the world to him..xoxox

So until the next game and Nathan has to pass the belt along to the next "hustler" he is one proud little boy.  I'm sure all of Long Beach will see his accomplishment  because he wants to wear the thing everywhere we go..and you know what??? I'm going to pick and choose my battles with this one, so guess what kid "live it up, and wear your big ol' belt  proudly because mommy and daddy are very proud of you too"!!


No comments:

Post a Comment