He has been begging me for weeks to buy this live butterfly kit it comes with "not just one..but TWO containers of LIVE butterfly larvae". Eventually with the food provided you get caterpillars which then form cocoons and then "waalaa" you have live butterflies. At first I thought what a waste of money and how sad Nathan will be when he has to let his new found pets (the butterfly's) go free so I was not going to give in this time. Well after he would not let it go (and of course the infomercial knows how to keep pounding the idea into the kids heads) I printed out a pretend receipt and said it was on it's way. OK so I'm mean..whatever I wanted to see if he would really want this thing or if he would just forget about it in a few days like he does with every other toy or gadget that he begs for. Not to mention this got him off of my back for a good week or so. Well everyday he waited for the mailman to come bring his kit. So of course I'm starting to feel guilty, real guilty!! So what do I do..I go online and order the kit. I figure I might as well make a "teaching moment" about it and teach him a little about the life cycle of butterfly. I guess I could cough up $19.99 plus the S&H to make my boy happy. Little did I know the shipping and handling was another $9.99!! Are you kidding me??? So now we are up to $29.99 plus tax. Well $34.00 later the order is placed and I realized that not just Nathan but now I have been scammed by an infomercial.
A few days go by and we happen to be sitting on the porch when the FedEx guy pulls up. Nathan's face was indescribable. He was so excited he couldn't wait to tear into that package and start naming his new caterpillars. YUCK! If you know Nathan then you know that every pet has the same name but just a number added to it. So we had Rambo #3,4,5.. you get the idea. As for the name Rambo?? Don't ask! No Idea?! Anyway back to the story. I open the box and there I see five baby caterpillars sitting at the bottom of each container. I think to myself OK this can't be that bad they are just siting at the bottom. After awhile I notice they aren't moving and I am slowly starting to get nervous. Not only do I have to deal with these caterpillars but now I have to explain that they didn't make it to our house alive. Being that he just lost his fish Rambo#2 (later renamed before his death SeƱor) I was not ready to send another "pet" to heaven. Luckily by night time they were crawling around and everything was well. Well as each day goes by these things are getting bigger and BIGGER and it's really starting to look nasty. They have made balls of their food and have dragged them up the sides of the container, I'm assuming this is their "food stash" for the next stage in their life cycle?
Who knows all I can think is that if those guys get out I will FLIP!! So not only was this once Nate's obsession it has now become mine. Every morning I go into his room to see that they are still alive, moving around, and most importantly are still in their "convenient little container". It's getting close to the cocoon stage (notice some are flipped upside down already) so I'm getting nervous because I then have to "carefully" (yeah right) move them into the big net thingy that came with the



This is by far the funniest blog you have posted. I remember the day he fought you at mom and dad's on how to get the containers and net home as he named them all.
ReplyDelete